History of Puyallup River Brewing: 2011 - Present
What started as a hobby and passion of home brewing since the mid 90's, turned into a very small business startup in December of 2011. I built a building on my property in South Hill Puyallup, WA and in my spare time, away from my full time career at Maersk, brewed my beer on a larger (still very small, a one barrel system) scale. I began selling my beer to local markets, pubs, and specialty stores in late March of 2012.
It quickly became apparent that I was going to have a very hard time keeping up with demand. In June of 2012, I quit my job at Maersk and began brewing and selling beer full-time, as well as initiating plans for my own retail location to sell my beer. I cashed in my 401k, leased a commercial space, and opened the Puyallup River Alehouse (a separate entity) in downtown Puyallup, WA on February 5, 2013. Also in February of 2013, I hired friend and fellow brewer Nat Woodsmith, to assist in maximizing time and capacity in the brewery as I was extremely busy managing the Alehouse. In June of 2013, Nat was promoted to full-time status, as business continued to grow. I continued to be actively involved in the management of the brewery and continued to develop new recipes and ideas for growth.
As we always strive for stylistic excellence for all of the beers that we brew, that came to fruition as we earned three medals at the 2014 Washington Beer Awards®. The awards included:
- Silver Medal - Cream Ale (American Light Ales)
- Silver Medal - Black Pumpkin Saison (Vegetable, Herb, & Spice Beers)
- Bronze Medal - Barrel-Aged Point Success Porter (Wood & Barrel Aged Beers)
In June of 2015, we earned three more medals at the 2015 Washington Beer Awards®:
- Gold Medal - Pineapple Paradise Blonde Saison (Fruit Beers)
- Silver Medal - Paradise Blonde Saison (Farmhouse Ales)
- Silver Medal - Mud Mountain Milk Stout (Coffee & Chocolate Beers)
Puyallup River Brewing was named the 2015 Washington Beer Awards® Small Brewery of the Year!
In June of 2016, we earned three more medals at the 2016 Washington Beer Awards®:
- Gold Medal - Cream Ale (Cream Ales)
- Bronze Medal - Springtime Brown (English Style Dark Ales)
- Bronze Medal - Mud Mountain Milk Stout (Coffee & Chocolate Beers)
In June of 2017, we earned three more medals at the 2017 Washington Beer Awards®:
- Silver Medal - British Bronze Brown Ale (English Style Dark Ales)
- Bronze Medal - Paradise Blonde Farmhouse Ale (Specialty Saisons)
- Bronze Medal - Mud Mountain Milk Stout (Chocolate or Cocoa Beer)
On August 9, 2015 the Puyallup River Alehouse was sold so we could utilize all of our time and resources to realize the dream of brewery expansion. On August 20, 2015 a distribution agreement was signed with Olympic Eagle Distribution in Puyallup, WA, and on June 24, 2016 a distribution agreement was signed with KBI Craft (King Beverage) in Spokane, WA to distribute our beer on a semi-regional scale. As of late June 2016, our beers are being served and stocked by many on and off-premise retail locations. We have gained many draft accounts, and our 22oz. bottles are in well over 400 stores including large chains such as Safeway, Albertson’s, Haggen’s, Total Wine & More, Sam's Club, and others.